Monday, July 14, 2014

Squash Boats


Each summer my momma, my co-workers, and just about anyone I know become overwhelmed with zucchini and yellow squash. It seems that one plant will produce 1000, not really but lots. I love these little summer treasures and I am always looking for new ways to prepare them. Hint the blog will have several recipes featuring these soon. Any who a great friend of mine was talking about these stuffed zucchini’s that she make and shared this recipe with me. Well boy oh boy where these good, I loved using them with the yellow squash while the hubs preferred the zucchini. On top of that they were super easy and I was able to do most of the prep work the night before and just assemble before baking!


Give this recipe and try I am sure it will become one of your summer faves. I am thinking about making these again this week and switching up the fillings, stay tuned for that! Thank you again to Cheri for opening my eyes to this simple supper.
Here are my beautiful boats pre-roast
Post roast
Stuffed with cheese added on top.

Squash Boats

3-4 zucchini or yellow summer squash

1 lb pork sausage

1 box of stuffing (prepared)

6-8 slices of cheese (I prefer provolone)

EVOO

Salt and Pepper to taste

Pre-heat oven to 375. Cut your squash in half length wise and scrape out the center creating a vessel for your stuffing. Place squash on a foil lined pan cut side up and drizzle with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of your squash. In the meantime brown your sausage and prepare the stuffing according to the package directions, or you could make your own but I took the easy way out! Once the squash is nice and tender remove from oven and lower oven temp to 350. Fill squash with sausage then cover with stuffing. Drizzle the tops with a bit more EVOO and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, just make sure the filling has gotten good and hot. In the last two minutes top each squash with a slice of the cheese. Allow cheese to melt and brown slightly. Last step ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment