Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Baked Egg Rolls


Yes I promised this recipe yesterday, and no it didn’t happen. You want to know why??? Well because I am an airhead and when I create a recipe I don’t always write it down as I go then I forget what the heck I did. Welp that was the case yesterday, I could not for the life of me remember how much corn starch I had put in these. So since I am so dedicated, I went home last night and made them again. Look at that faithful to you guys, it was rough! HA! More like delicious!

When I started to make these last week one night post my dying sickness, I found some ideas on Pinterest. But of course I couldn’t get the links to work. Most of the Pins I saw included fresh ginger in the pictures, well I live in the sticks and I didn’t want to drive 15 minutes to take a chance that the grocery store might or might not have the stuff. And I don’t like ground ginger. So it isn’t in mine feel free if you live close to civilization to add fresh ginger to yours. Now the other ingredients, I used Napa Cabbage because that’s what was in my fridge, I am fairly certain any kind would work. You could get crazy and add bamboo shoots, mushrooms, ground pork, or whatever makes your skirt fly up!

Now I will say it is important to let the filling cool before wrapping, just trust me on this don’t ask how I know. I put my mixture in the freezer for a few to cool off, I am not sure this is what a professional chef would do but hey this momma needed the meal on the table! Oh and let the rolls cool off for a few before trying to bite into them, again don't be like me! Enjoy!

Baked Egg Rolls 
2 cups Cabbage (Cole Slaw Mix Works fine)
1 Carrot (Shredded)
4 Green Onions (Sliced Thin)
½ tsp of Each Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder
¼ cup Water
1 TBSP Corn Starch
1 TBSP Soy Sauce
1 TBSP Teriyaki Sauce
1 tsp Sesame Oil
Egg Roll Wrappers

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Sauté Cabbage, Carrot, and Onion in a non-stick skillet until softened about 4 minutes, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. While veggies are softening mix water corn starch, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and sesame oil. Add to veggie mix and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until mix is nice and thick. Remove from skillet and cool. 
Once filling has cooled! Grab some wrappers and a small bowl of water. Also have a greased cookie sheet ready! Lay one wrapper out in front of you so it looks like a diamond. Take 2-4 TBSP of the filling depending on how full you want your rolls, and put it in the middle away from the edges. Now dip your fingers in water and moisten all edges of the wrapper, fold in the horizontal corners over the filling, then take the point facing you and fold it over then roll like a burrito! Place on cookie sheet. Once you have all your rolls filled and on the cookie sheet. Spray each one with Pam, and bake for 6 minutes then flip and bake for 6 minutes more. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few before enjoying! 


No comments:

Post a Comment