Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Key lime pie...


I actually had a whole different post planned for today but I just needed to post about this pie. Basically because it has been so dreary and cold here the past few weeks. Who am I kidding it has been cold all over the country! I feel like I haven’t seen the sunshine in months. I long to feel the warm sun on my face and a nice spring breeze in the air, if I close my eye really tight I can almost feel it!... Oh I guess I should wake up and get back to the pie.
This pie just looks like sunshine. With its bright colors and bursting with citrus flavors, it screams warm weather. And maybe just maybe if it screams it loud enough and wake mother nature up to the fact that some warmth would be appreciated.

Key Lime pie is one of my big brothers favorite pies, and I have making this particular one for him for a long time. Last week happened to be his birthday and when my momma said she was cooking his favorite meal for him I knew a key lime pie was in order. This seriously is one of the easiest pies you can make. I even took a from the store short cut last week when I made it, I bought the graham cracker crust. OH the HORROR!!! HA! I typically make my own but it was a busy week and the bought crust gets this pie to your mouth even quicker. I have included my curst recipe but feel free to purchase, there will be no judgment here! Also key limes can be difficult to find at times, so you can use regular limes then add the juice of a clementine or tangerine to the mix, flavors will be as close as you can get!
Key Lime Pie
Crust
Ingredients
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tbsp sugar
 6 tbsp butter melted
Directions
Mix all ingredients together until you get a wet sand look. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a deep dish pie plate. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, set aside to cool

Filling
Ingredients
1 cup key lime juice
2  tbsp key lime zest
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
8 egg yolks
Directions
Mix all ingredients together until smooth and pour into cooled pie crust. Bake at 325 for 16 minutes or until set.  Top pie with fresh whipped cream. ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment